Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chas' Running Transition - May 18th, 2011

I have ordered a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm but they are not here yet.  I'm going "all in" with regard to minimalism, and like the idea that the 5 Fingers most closely mimic actual barefoot running, and allow for my toes to become increasingly dexterous.  I do not love the look, but am willing to sacrifice style at this point.  (as an aside, I’m not very stylish anyway, so really there is no loss here) Today's solution is to brave the gym and the treadmill.  I was a little apprehensive of the idea of running barefoot in front of others.  First I looked for a treadmill on the second floor away from the crowds but no luck.  Checked out the indoor track, but it was too crowded.  So finally I sucked it up and grabbed a treadmill.  Took my shoes and socks off and started walking.  I gradually sped up to 13 min/mile pace.  My Achilles really ached, but my feet and calves were fine.  I went .25 miles in 3.5 minutes and shut it down.  My plan is to limit myself to .25 miles per run for the first couple of weeks.  I was worried that my Achilles would be really sore following the run, given how painful it was while running, but it was fine.  I dutifully took my second dose of ibuprofen a couple hours later.  As of this evening, I'm no more sore than I was pre-run.  I will plan on a second attempt on Friday. 

P.S. - ran with the kids at soccer tonight.  Achilles actually felt better there than it did on the treadmill.  We'll see how it feels in the morning. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chas--Good luck to you on the transition. I'm in the midst of my own and it has had it's ups and downs. My suggestion is that when you get your Vibrams (which model did you order?), break them in on the treadmill first. I did that until I hit a mile at a respectable pace, then took them out into the world. I think it made a big difference!

    ReplyDelete